Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hey Hippy Child!

So Thomas, I think that we should read Slaughterhouse 5 over the Spring/Summer - then come back and comment on it...

If you don't have the book, you non-liberal, non-conservative hippy guy - then I found the text at SparkNotes forya!

As a 'financially-challenged' student, I use SparkNotes a LOT!

I have to re-read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 anyway - because I only got part-way through it back in my 'drunkzone' time of life haha! Because the story jumps around and doesn't follow a linear chronology of events, I think I got confused and planned to 'finish reading it later' LOL.

I decided that this will likely be a book that comes up in my studies (I'm a Lit-English Major). It has already come into conversation over the last year, though I haven't been asked to do a primary study on the book. I asked an instructor about it last week and he said, "Yes, READ IT, it will put a lot of things into perspective about American world-view from the 50's, 60's, and 70's." I was also told that works by Vonnegut 'will be coming up.'

So - Thomas - it would be in the interest of my future career as a writer, student, public-speaker, tutor, and person if you would study Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 with me before my next regular semester starts...just in case one of my pending classes targets an 'American Works' theme! (I believe there is an American Literature topic class - entirely for American material - coming up - and I will definitely get enrolled for that class once I figure out how to fit it into my schedule!).

So - How 'bout it, HippyChild?

Gonna help me pre-study?

No comments: